Outlook is widely used by individuals and organizations alike, due to its ease of use and integration with MS Office. It also offers Exchange connectivity which is useful for enterprise-level email communication.
Although it is a popular email client users face many problems while using it. The most common error among many is “The set cannot be opened.” This error can often cause users to have difficulty accessing their Outlook messages and emails.
This annoying error could be caused by Outlook not being properly set up or a corrupt PST file that is linked to your Outlook account. This error is also not easily fixed.
We have found some effective solutions. Let’s take a close look at each one.
Try automated tool Kernel for Outlook PST Repair to repair and fix Outlook PST error issues.
Safe Mode: Start Outlook
This error can be fixed by running Outlook in safe mode. Outlook will start in safe mode without loading any add-ins. This is how to run Outlook in safe mode.
- By pressing “Window+R”, you can start the Run command.
- Click OK and type “Outlook/safe”.
- Click “OK” to open the dialog box “Choose Profile”.
Notice: When asked for account credentials, enter your Password and click “Accept.”
- The outlook may be in safe mode when it starts. Check the status at the top to see if Outlook has been set up in Safe Mode. Deactivate add-ins
Outlook will work fine in safe mode. If not, you can disable add-ins. To disable add-ins in Outlook:
- Select “Options>>Add ins” from the File tab.
- Click the “GO” button at the bottom of your window.
- A list of all Add-ins that work with Outlook will appear. Click “OK” to remove all the Add-ins.
Restart Outlook to see if the error is still there. If you continue to have the same problem, try another method.
Create a new Outlook profile
Outlook profiles contain all settings that are required to use MS Outlook. If this profile is corrupted by unanticipated errors, it can result in a “The set cannot be opened” error. Try creating a new Outlook profile
- Click on Control Panel, and choose “Mail (MS Outlook 2016).”
- Choose “Show Profiles” to open the wizard. A new wizard will appear.
- Click the “Add” button to give the profile a name. To create a new profile, you can also fill out the details of your email account in the “Auto Account Setup”.
- After creating a new profile it will be displayed on the General tab of the Mail dialog box.
- Click OK in the section “When you start Outlook, use this Profile.”
Once you have created the new profile, start MS Outlook. Outlook will start normally if the new profile is selected. Make sure to create a backup of the profile before you attempt to delete it.
Start Outlook from the Taskbar
Users keep their most-used applications pinned to their Taskbar so they can access them quickly. Users have discovered that the ‘The set cannot open Outlook’ error is easily avoided by opening Outlook from the Taskbar.
Make sure MS Outlook is pinned on the Taskbar of your system. outlook the set of folders cannot be opened Find the Outlook shortcut on your computer and drag it onto the Taskbar. Right-click the Outlook shortcut in your Taskbar and choose ‘New email message’ from the menu.
Outlook will then start normally. This is a temporary fix. Outlook will not be able to start as normal again.
Outlook uses an App Password
Many users reported that the error “The set of folders could not be opened” occurred after they linked their Gmail account to Outlook. It usually happens when two-step verification is enabled for your Gmail account.
Two-step verification can be a great way of protecting your email account from unauthorized access. It is highly recommended that you set an App password to Gmail for when you link your Gmail account to Outlook.
Install 64-bit Office
Office 32-bit doesn’t offer the same accuracy and reliability as 64-bit. It is also noted that the 32-bit version of Office has the ‘the set cannot be opened’ error most often.
If you are still experiencing the same error when using 64-bit versions, it is recommended that you reinstall the software. 64-bit versions offer better stability and performance.
Retire your Mail App Account
Windows 10 integrates with Mail, an integrated email client. It can be found under Control Panel. It’s a great tool to manage and add accounts. However, if you add Outlook accounts to the Mail app instead of adding them to MS Outlook separately, it could cause an error stating that the set of folders cannot be opened.
You can fix this by uninstalling your Mail app account. Follow these steps to do this:
- Open the Mail app, and then go to the Accounts section.
- You will see the “Manage Account” pane. Select the email account you wish to manage from this pane.
- You will see the Account Setting window. Click the delete option to close it.
- You will see a confirmation message on your screen. Click Delete to continue.
Restart your system after deleting the Mail app account. You might not encounter the error again if you access MS Outlook.
Outlook Directory: Remove.XML Files
Another reason for the ‘the set cannot be opened’ error could be an XML file found in your Outlook directory. The outlook may not open if these files become corrupted.
It is therefore a good idea to delete these files from your Outlook directory. This can be done with the following steps.
Click the ‘Window + R’ button, enter Appdata into the field, then click Enter.
- The Appdata directory will appear on the screen, now navigate to LocalMicrosoftOutlook16*.
- Locate the XML files here and move or delete them.
Outlook will restart after you have removed the.xml files. You might not encounter this error again.
Repair Outlook Data Files
Outlook stores all data, including email messages, events, and contacts, as well as tasks. Data files (PST) are where all of Outlook’s data is stored. These files can become corrupt for many reasons. This error can also be caused by other reasons. These files can be repaired with Inbox Repair Tool (scanpst.exe). ScanPST is a tool that scans Outlook files.